Thursday, February 03, 2005

Welcome to my Weblog

Welcome to "Thoughts on Application Management", a blog dedicated to the space of Application Management.

What is Application Management?

Princeton University's definition of "Management", which I found less than enlightening, is "The act of managing something". Thereby, Application Management can be described as "The act of managing some applications"…At the risk of excessive disparagement of Princeton’s term, anyone who has ever managed any “something” knows that it is a “process” not an “act”. Therefore, at its most basic, Application Management is the “process of managing some applications”.

There probably isn’t a less well defined and understood discipline than Application Management. The definition of this space really depends on who you ask (and possibly what mood they are in). Application Management encompasses a host of technologies and processes that revolve around business applications. These include application SLA measurement, application monitoring, user experience monitoring, application security, application configuration, application deployment, application mapping, and more and more. The one thing all disciplines share in common is that they all have to do with the very simple goal of "making applications work and work well”.

Why write about Application Management?

As with anyone who starts a blog, I have a passion about it. I find it compelling that G2000 companies have between 500 and 1000 applications, some of which are incredibly complex, supporting their critical business processes. The risk, the vulnerability is amazing. Yet, the processes for managing those applications haven’t evolved much since the mainframe days (when it was really a walk in the park).

I spent a good part of my professional life working for Mercury, a company that made a fortune by telling people (testers in those days) that problems exist. I then started working for companies that help people (primarily developers) figure out why problems exist, and how to fix them.

So, covering both ends of the equation, you could say I've been dealing with Application Management for little over 14 years – working with customers on their real issues, talking to analysts on their perception of the space, and collaborating with other software vendors to provide integrated solution stacks. Hence my passion. Hence this blog.

One last comment: I'm currently working at Identify Software, a company that pioneered the Application Problem Resolution space. This blog represents my personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the company's viewpoint.

1 Comments:

Blogger RISHI GUPTA said...

Hi there Ran and others…I found this site while looking for opinions on .NET and your credentials are certainly impressive…it looks like it could turn into a useful reference point for developers.

In the past I have developed some applications myself using .NET and a few with Java. I was interested in your views and experiences with .NET and your predictions for the future.

Firstly, now that we know the extent of the changes that will happen to .NET (in version 2.0) I’d appreciate an idea of what you and others think about developing with .NET…Winforms and Webforms and many other key .NET technologies are going to change, that is clear. Will this not have a substantial impact on older .NET projects?

Secondly, how should we minimise these problems? It seems certain that we will need to migrate to new versions in future.

Now and then I also come across some critical problems in ASP.NET (csharp) which need to be addressed. How about these?

I am working at an enterprise level in the banking industry but I also run my own software company so I need to have a strong grasp of the problems and positive points of both.

On the other side, Java programmers seem to be not too enthusiastic about EJBs (which seem to be one of the key technologies in J2EE). These kinds of problems worry me from the perspective of the future of our software (the thought that we may not be able scale it with a reasonable hardware cost is a major concern).

I will really appereciate your opinions and help.

Regards,

Rishi Gupta

February 11, 2005 at 3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home